28 October 2008

Idiosyncrasies. Part 1 (in case I do this again)

Riding my bike in the fall is dangerous to my regular riding/driving habits.

I mean, normally when riding my bike, I try to avoid unidentified small objects in my path. This habit is good and healthy for my tires, not to mention my overall safety. But in the fall we introduce another foreign object to the roadways; crunchy leaves.

Yes, I start aiming for them. It's one thing to walk along a sidewalk and merrily crunch the leaves beneath your feet. After all, the odds of finding something under those leaves that is going to attack you after you step on it are pretty minimal. But on a bike, when you can zip along and crunch a whole bunch more leaves in a shorter amount of time with only minor wobbles in steering. It's grand. It's fun. It's crunchy goodness time.

Except when you're riding at night, and it's a lot harder to see what the objects in your path are, and you're still (instinctively mind you) trying to crunch leaves. Well, you start trying to crunch things that aren't leaves. Rocks, pebbles, bolts, wire, paper (crumbled still crunches), washers, nails... You get the idea. And instead of trying to avoid them, you're trying to run over them?!?

Fall is more dangerous than most people riding bicycles think.

I need to take my bike into the shop...

Don't worry, it's actually just for a tune-up. :)

LB

No comments: