16 December 2008

Idiosyncrasies part 2

I direct music with my eyes closed.

I used to do it when I sang as well, but I trained myself out of that. You see, I don't direct choirs very often, but there I was, directing a choir for a Christmas presentation and I was doing it with my eyes closed. It made for amusing rehearsals, lemme tell you. I had to tell them to watch me, while acknowledging that I wouldn't be watching them back. But I would be listening! Oh yes! I'd be listening!

I even audition people that way, if I'm not careful. And I don't know why it is, because I don't have a problem looking people in the eye. I do it when I'm acting, giving speeches, being a jester... No problem. But I used to when I sing, stop myself when I direct plays, and catch myself doing it when I direct choirs. Eyes closed. Just listening.

I guess that's why it's an idiosyncrasy. Personality quirks don't really have to make too much sense, I suppose.

LB

No comments: